Friday, October 7, 2016

Think Aloud Reflection

Yesterday, I completed my Think Aloud on the “Levels of Organization of Living Things from Organelles to Biospheres” and I feel pretty happy about it! I was really nervous about it and we had only a few minutes of class left. Most people were on the edge of their seats ready to leave since we travel to Clarke Middle on Thursdays but once I started to ~think aloud~ my nerves calmed down.



I decided to focus on the 7th grade science standard S7L2 Part C: Students will describe the structure and function of cells, tissue, organs, and organ systems – Explain cells organized into tissues, organs, systems, and organisms. Science is my secondary emphasis but we haven’t presented very many Think Alouds in science so I decided to spice things up.

My Think Aloud focused on reviewing levels of organization of living things. The intent of my reading was to allow students to review the 10 levels of organization, from the simplest level of organelles to the most complex biospheres, that they should have previously learned about. My reading was a large paragraph filled with information but from afar it might have looked like an intimidating box full of words. Knowing that we’re reviewing 10 levels, I wanted to focus on two things: listing the 10 levels clearly in the margins and giving examples in each level of organization.

The reading provided the mitochondria and chloroplasts as examples for the first level of organization (organelles) but did not include anything else. So as I read, when I identified, boxed, and numbered the next level of organization, I provided clear examples (2-3). I also took the time to make inferences to other things we may have previously studied in the unit such as making note that when we are talking about LIVING things, we are not referring to viruses.

(WARNING: Not An Accurate Representation of Virus)


Overall, I think I did a pretty swell job! I received many encouraging words though I wasn’t given any constructive criticism since most people were dashing for the door to make it to Clarke Middle. I had some very nice class participation so maybe next time I can work on bringing in more facts and connections of previous knowledge. [369 words]

1 comment: