So what’s all of the politics about? In the book The New Politics of the Textbook: Critical Analysis in the Core Content Areas, Heather
Hickman and Brad J. Porfilio analyze how textbooks are being used and why
teachers and students are resisting enforced official curriculum.
“Many states adopt textbooks on a statewide basis and three
large “adoption states” (California, Florida, and Texas) exert an enormous
influence on the content of textbooks used nationwide. The textbook industry is
highly competitive and the industry is dominated by a very small number of
large corporations; as a result, textbook companies modify their products to
qualify for adoption in one of these states, which will be must simpler with
the Common Core Standards. As a result, the values and politics of adoption
committees in those states influence curriculum nationally.”
I never knew textbooks were such a hot topic of discussion! Sure textbook politics have come up a bit with the “Big Three” (Holt McDougal, McGraw-Hill, and Pearson) but has the debate to end textbook centered classrooms really stood a chance? Textbooks were such a vital part of my education, it would be wrong to say the majority of my science, math, and history courses did not follow textbook units and chapters with activities and discussions sprinkled in-between chapter subsections. I’ve always been expected to read before class and come to class prepared with questions. I once thought this was the way to go but after further investigation, this only inspires textbook dependence. Textbooks are reference materials. My goal as a subject educator, as stated in Subjects Matter, should be to infuse the curriculum with an array of versatile text, giving my students the resources to delve into and find interest in different subject area curriculum. (291 words)


Thanks for sharing that book, Claire. I've downloaded for future perusal. It's interesting how many of you keep coming back to textbooks in your blogs. I think our readings and discussions are forcing us to rethink our assumptions about textbooks, which you reflect in your comment that "textbooks were such a vital part of my education." I wonder how textbooks became a thing in the first place, actually. Maybe the authors of the book you've linked to address that. Thanks!
ReplyDelete