Monday, September 5, 2016

Blog #4

Wow, maybe I should take on A Biography of the World’s Most Famous Equation.
It certainly sounds interesting [and readable] to me!



Again, another neat chapter that gets my head nodding. The first section that really caught my attention was “choice versus assigned.” I remember my teachers giving us leeway with reading assignments - allowing us to choose our own reading material or sources, containing the assignment with boundaries (“You cannot choose to read nothing.”) but at the same time giving us power to make the assignment our own. I think it’s important for students to take part in the curriculum in this way, as it encourages them to go out and look for text (multiple sourcing) that is worthy of their busy, busy, busy middle-school-life time (hah) that hey! They may actually find interesting!

“Some of what kids read in school should hold up a mirror to them by including their story, their culture, their experience.”

Windows and Mirrors! I loved this. I loved how they compared it to windows and mirrors. This is just what reading is! Words show significance by relation, the importance of finding belonging or a niche in humanity that connects your experiences and cultures to others. Words too, are written to share knowledge and understanding, the understanding of people and things. To “broaden their knowledge, enrich their experience, widen their worldview, and grow their fund of information.” (233 words)


2 comments:

  1. Claire, the first section also had me reflecting on teachers that were extremely specific with what reading was assigned and those who allowed us to choose. Many of these memories were in english courses where we were presented with a list of books we were allowed to choose from. It’s sad that these options are not given as much in science and math courses, especially since we both have a focus in the two of them. As a future math teacher, I feel as though it is daunting enough to find a single math related reading, not to mention multiple readings for the students to choose from.
    Maddie

    [107]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, really like the windows and mirrors analogy, and I actually think one could translate that into a during-reading strategy, perhaps even using images of windows and mirrors to reinforce the idea. My initial idea for a reading quiz for this chapter, in fact, was to give you all a sheet of paper with a window and a mirror on it and explain how they're relevant to the reading. Oh well! Thanks for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete