I found this first chapter to be a
surprisingly pleasant read. Not only is the content material highly relatable,
the style of writing makes the content both appealing and entertaining!
The beginning story of two students making a statement at a
local McDonald’s can be a bit direct and forceful. The thoughts “I would never
do that…” crossed through my mind but the second [and made up] story felt very
real. The way Mr. Cosgrove interacted with his biology students felt like a
blast to the past. I’m sure we’ve all been guilty of the “avoid eye contact”
move as you pray someone with answers breaks the wave of silence. Though Mr.
Cosgrove is made up, his character is excited about the subject matter he
teaches and hopes to inspire his student.
Chapter 1 brought up how early childhood teachers more commonly say they elected teaching because they enjoy children. Middle and high school teachers, on the other hand, tend to choose our profession because we love the subject material – we “care deeply about a particular field, a body of knowledge, a special set of tools and procedures, an intellectual tradition, a heritage.” I found that pretty neat after meeting most of the students in my cohort studying middle grades education. We all seem to have chosen our emphasis because of our many experiences in such subject matter or our passions for that field of studies. (236 words)
Chapter 1 brought up how early childhood teachers more commonly say they elected teaching because they enjoy children. Middle and high school teachers, on the other hand, tend to choose our profession because we love the subject material – we “care deeply about a particular field, a body of knowledge, a special set of tools and procedures, an intellectual tradition, a heritage.” I found that pretty neat after meeting most of the students in my cohort studying middle grades education. We all seem to have chosen our emphasis because of our many experiences in such subject matter or our passions for that field of studies. (236 words)

Claire,
ReplyDeleteI also found it interesting that the article said middle grade teachers chose the teaching career because of the passion they have towards a certain subject. I had never really thought about it until it was mentioned. Personally I have always loved math, but for me I chose this profession because I see teaching as having a direct impact on human lives and it just came together with my love for math.
(73)
Claire,
ReplyDeleteI think it's funny that both you and Ashley chose middle grades because of your passion for the subject matter. Personally, I chose middle grades because I love working with middle school students. I do enjoy math and science and I’m excited to have the opportunity to teach the subject matter, but I am primarily focused on working with the students and watching them grow as individuals.
[68]
Hey Claire!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing as you were when reading the 2nd story as we have all been that student at least once who had no idea what the answer to something was so we did whatever to avoid being called to answer it!
Also, until the reading I never really thought about the difference why people chose between being an upper or lower age teacher but I find it very accurate. I was never really passionate about history until recently and I think that is due to the fact I never really had any teachers get excited about it.
(103)
Thx Claire! I'm glad you found the reading somewhat enjoyable. I searched for quite some time looking for a text that was both helpful and readable. Not the easiest thing I've ever done. And I'll be looking out for any attempts to avert your eyes at my questions!
ReplyDelete